How you load a dishwasher is just as vital for clean dishes as water and detergent. What are some loading tips that result in cleaner dishes? Angling items toward the spray arms and making sure there is space between each item allows for better access to water and detergent. Master how to load a Whirlpool dishwasher so it operates optimally and saves you time and energy.
Tips, Tricks, and Techniques: How to Load a Whirlpool Dishwasher
Our dishwasher loading hacks use simple adjustments and small interventions to result in big improvements to your dishwasher’s cleaning power. Here’s why loading a dishwasher is so crucial to cleaner dishes.
Does it Matter How You Load a Dishwasher?
Learning how to load a Whirlpool dishwasher not only results in cleaner dishes but saves time and energy. Separating and positioning items correctly and using racks and slots properly ensures that water, detergent, and air can reach every item. This translates to clean, dry dishes with every wash load and prevents breakage and dishwasher malfunctions. Proper loading also saves water, energy, and time that gets wasted with re-washing and drying.
What to Do Before Loading a Dishwasher
Knowing how to load a Whirlpool dishwasher actually starts before a single dish is loaded. Just a few key interventions can make a difference in how your dishwasher functions.
These dishwasher pre-loading tips can result in cleaner dishes:
- Skip the pre-rinse: Most dishwasher detergents work better with a little grease and grime. Just scrape off large food particles before loading.
- Avoid overloading: Wondering how not to load a dishwasher? Overloading is a common mistake. It limits access to detergent and water as well as the airflow needed to dry dishes.
- Always use a rinse aid: Not only will dishes sparkle, but water droplets will disperse more easily, resulting in improved drying.
How to Load the Upper Rack in a Whirlpool Dishwasher
A Whirlpool dishwasher’s upper rack holds small bowls, plates, cups, and glasses. Adjustable tines and stemware holders can be folded down to accommodate different shapes and sizes or to safely secure wine glasses. The upper rack also keeps glassware and smaller items separated, reserving the lower rack for larger pieces.
These upper rack loading suggestions can improve dishwasher performance:
- How to load bowls in a dishwasher: Place them upside down and at an angle for better access to water and detergent.
- How to load glasses: Position glasses and cups upside down and angled to access spray arms and improve drying.
- Reserve for plastic and large utensils: The upper rack keeps plastic away from the dishwasher’s heating element below and prevents longer utensils from blocking the spray arms.
Tips for Loading the Lower Dish Rack
The lower rack is designed for washing larger items like dinner plates, serving platters, and pots and pans. Wondering how not to load a dishwasher’s lower rack? Avoid overloading and hand wash wooden utensils and cutting boards to prevent damage and warping.
Use these tips when loading the lower rack:
- Place dishes between the tines, facing inward to access spray arms.
- Position larger items like serving platters and baking dishes along the rack’s perimeter so they don’t block the detergent dispenser.
- Load pots and pans upside down for better washing, rinsing, and draining.
How to Load Silverware in a Whirlpool Dishwasher
The silverware basket is meant to hold eating utensils like forks, spoons, and knives as well as smaller items like baby bottle tops. Some silverware baskets also have a removable top that can accommodate items with thicker handles.
Here’s how to load silverware in a Whirlpool dishwasher correctly:
- Avoid nesting: Alternate forks, spoons, and knives next to each other for adequate separation.
- Position knives upside down: Doing so avoids injury when loading and unloading and protects the blades.
- Place larger utensils in the upper rack: This prevents them from blocking the spray arms.
While knowing how to load a Whirlpool dishwasher can improve performance and avoid malfunctions, sometimes a repair can’t be avoided. For the very best Whirlpool dishwasher repair, call GFY Appliance Repair.