Changing your refrigerator water filter should be pretty painless, but sometimes you can experience a little hiccup in the replacement process. If you have a Maytag refrigerator water filter stuck while you’re trying to replace it, there are a few things you can do to fix it and get the new filter installed.
Why & When to Change Your Water Filter
The water filter in your refrigerator keeps your drinking water fresh and pure. Many modern refrigerators help you maintain a fresh filter with indicator lights that remind you to change the filter.
Filters should be changed every 6 months, more frequently with heavy use, or when they become too dirty to be effective. You probably need to replace the filter when your refrigerator water tastes like tap water, smells bad, or the filter light changes color.
So now you’re ready to change that filter. But, “Houston, we have a problem” – your water filter is stuck. Luckily, you can fix this.
How to Remove a Maytag Refrigerator Water Filter Stuck in Place
Chances are, your Maytag refrigerator water filter stuck is an operator error issue – meaning you may be turning it the wrong way or need to know where to push or pull to release the filter.
Once you have purchased a new quality filter, such as the EveryDrop by Whirlpool, you are ready to change your water filter. Use our guide to learn how to get the old filter out and install a new filter without a hassle.
The following filters are located in the base grille of the refrigerator.
Quarter Turn Filter Stuck
- Cover the cap with a cloth and use standard pliers to grab a stronghold – don’t put enough pressure to damage the filter or parts!
- Turn the filter a quarter turn to the left and pull straight out – some models will require you to remove the cap and set aside.
- Place the cap on the new filter (when applicable).
Push Button Filter Stuck
- Press the button on the base grille all the way in.
- Push on the filter then push the button again to disengage the filter.
The following filters are located inside the refrigerator.
Pop-Out Door Filter Stuck
- If you have already opened the door, close and reopen it completely.
- Purge several cups of water using the water dispenser to release pressure in the water line.
- Pull the filter out.
Push Button/Pull Tab Filter Stuck
- Ensure the compartment door is completely open. You may need to remove the shelf located just beneath the filter.
- Turn the filter to the left and pull straight out.
How to Reset Maytag Water Filter Status
You’ve overcome the Maytag refrigerator water filter stuck and need to reset the filter status. This tells your refrigerator system that you have installed a new filter and allows the alert system to reset and prepare to notify you again when the filter needs another replacement.
To reset Maytag water filter status after changing your water filter, follow the instructions for your model below.
French Door Refrigerator
Locate the water filter button at the top of the inside of the refrigerator. Press and Hold the water filter button for 3 seconds until you hear the alert sound. If the filter light is orange, the light should turn blue if reset properly.
Side by Side Refrigerator
Locate the water filter reset button on the front of the water dispenser. Press and hold the filter reset button for 3 seconds until the alert sounds.
French Door Bottom Mount Refrigerator
Locate the “Fast Cool” and “Energy Saver” buttons at the top of the inside of the refrigerator. Press and hold the two buttons at the same time for 3 seconds until the alert sounds.
If you still haven’t solved your water filter problems, you may need a professional refrigerator repair technician to help.