Crisper drawers can optimize the freshness of your fruits and vegetables, but they need to be set correctly to preserve produce properly. What are the right Whirlpool refrigerator crisper drawer settings? To accommodate different types of produce, one drawer should have a high humidity setting, while another drawer’s setting should be lower. Learn how crisper drawers work, their proper settings, and how to control moisture in a Whirlpool refrigerator to avoid common problems.
How to Use Whirlpool Refrigerator Crisper Drawer Settings to Keep Produce Fresh
Different types of produce should be stored at high or low humidity settings to stay fresher, longer. Storing certain fruits and vegetables separately from others can also extend their lifespan. Here’s how to use Whirlpool refrigerator crisper drawer settings correctly and enjoy your produce for as long as possible.
How Do Whirlpool Crisper Drawers Work?
Crisper drawers work by controlling the humidity levels to better preserve produce. To create more humidity, move the Whirlpool refrigerator humidity control switch towards the right. This closes the drawer’s vent, keeping air inside and creating a more moist environment. To lower the humidity, slide the control switch to the left. This opens the vent, allowing moist air to escape.
What Are The Best Settings for Your Refrigerator Crisper Drawers?
What should crisper drawers be set at to best preserve your produce? Adjust one of your Whirlpool refrigerator crisper drawer settings to a lower humidity level for fruits with thin skins that rot faster. This drawer is also best for fruits that emit ethylene gas as they ripen. A low humidity setting allows this gas to escape, preventing premature rotting.
Produce that’s best stored in a low-humidity crisper drawer includes:
The other crisper drawer should be kept on a high humidity setting to best preserve leafy vegetables and fruits sensitive to ethylene gas. A highly humid setting retains moisture to keep leafy greens fresh and crisp.
These fruits and vegetables should be stored in a high-humidity crisper drawer:
- Leafy greens and herbs
How Do You Prevent Condensation in Your Refrigerator Crisper?
When there is excess condensation in a crisper drawer it usually indicates that the environment is too humid. Adjust your Whirlpool refrigerator crisper drawer settings so the vent is open slightly, allowing a little moisture to escape.
Follow these additional tips to prevent condensation in refrigerator crisper drawers:
- Keep refrigerator doors closed: If the door is left open for too long, warm air will enter, causing condensation to develop.
- Check the door gasket: A damaged or loose gasket can also cause warm air to enter the refrigerator and create condensation. You may also notice that the refrigerator door isn’t closing properly because the gasket no longer provides a tight seal. A damaged gasket should be replaced.
- Assess the defrost drain tube: This tube often runs along the back of the refrigerator, behind the crisper drawers. If it becomes clogged with ice or debris, it can cause excessive moisture in the drawers. Refer to your Whirlpool user manual to determine how to unclog the drain tube.
Image Courtesy of Whirlpool
Why Is Food Freezing In Whirlpool Crisper Drawers?
If your Whirlpool refrigerator vegetable drawer freezes, it may mean there’s a temperature control or airflow issue.
Here’s how to troubleshoot frozen food in crisper drawers:
- Check the refrigerator’s temperature setting: If the temperature is set too low, cold air will settle at the bottom of the refrigerator, freezing items in crisper drawers. Whirlpool recommends keeping the refrigerator set between 38-40℉ to prevent freezing.
- Clean the condenser coils: Dirty condenser coils can restrict airflow in the refrigerator, resulting in colder crisper drawers and the refrigerator not cooling properly. Refer to your user manual to determine how to access and clean the coils on your model refrigerator.
If you still experience excessive condensation or repeated freezing in your crisper drawers, it may be time for a professional assessment. The experts at GFY Appliance Repair can perform any Whirlpool refrigerator repair so your fridge functions properly!